The best puff pastry bite ever!
No I'm not kidding when I say this is the best puff pastry I've ever made! This vegan steak bake is so delicious! Super juicy, salty and rich on the inside and sweet on the outside..
The recipe for this vegan steak bake is based on the vegan steak bake they sell at Greggs in England. The Bosh boys also veganized this steak bake earlier. I added some extra ingredients like mushrooms to make the filling even more juicy ànd some extra spices for a richer taste!
2 vegan steaks, 200 grams (Vegafit), in cubes
100 grams of carrots, grated
100 grams of mushrooms, grated
50 grams of celery, grated
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion, finely chopped
¼ jalapeño, chopped
½ handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
70 grams of tomato puree
1 tsp Marmite
twig of rosemary
twig of thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbs corn flour mixed with 2 tbs of water OR 2 tbs Arrowroot mixed with 3 tbswater OF 2 el Arrowroot gemixt met 3 el water
200 ml of vegetable stock
100 ml vegan red wine (I use Slurp)
10 slices of puff pastry
a few tbs or maple syrup (for glazing the pastry)
- Put some olive oil in a frying pan. Bake the vegan steak cubes over medium heat. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- Return some olive oil to the pan. Fry the onion and garlic briefly. Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, red pepper, parsley. Bake briefly.
- Now add the tomato paste, marmite and the herbs. Stir for a moment.
- Pour in the wine, vegetable stock and cornstarch. The bay leaf is now also allowed to go in.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool completely!
- Preheat the oven to 200/350°F
- Lay out the puff pastry slices. Put a pile of filling on a puff pastry slice. Place another puff pastry slice on top and close the sides with a fork. Make a few notches on top of the vegan steak bake and coat with some agave of maple syrup.
- 30 minutes in the oven until golden!