A lovely lunch or meal that warms the heart...
Vegan Shakshuka: A spicy tomato-pepper sauce with eggplant, black beans and coconut yogurt.
The first Vegan Shakshuka I ate was a few weeks ago when I was in York, England in a tent called Humpit. I was really amazed at how wonderfully creamy this dish is. Such vegan comfort food!
The original recipe is with eggs. I put black beans in the Shakshuka for some extra healthy protein!
2 cloves of garlic
1 red onion
olive oil for baking
2 red paprika (peppers)
400 grams of canned tomatoes
70 gram (small can) tomato puree
200 ml of water
aubergine, in cubes
canned black beans (can of 400 grams), drained
salt / pepper to taste
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ginger powder
4 wholemeal pita bread
fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Chop the red onion and press the garlic. Fry this in the pan over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the pepper and spices and fry for another 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the tomato puree and the water.
- Let this simmer on low heat and then puree everything with a hand blender.
- Now add the black beans and the eggplant. Cook everything on low heat for about 15 minutes with the lid on the pan.
- Serve with a spoon of coconut yogurt, fresh coriander and dug in with a pita bread.