Inspired by my trip to Norway 15 years ago...
It has been 15 years since I traveled alone to Norway to see the fjords there. It has always been a dream of mine to see this natural wonder.
I started my journey in Olso where my nose first came into contact with the delicious scent of "Norwegian bollar". A kind of currant buns as we know them in the Netherlands, but with the scent of cardamom. The scent and taste of cardamom makes these buns so special and truly vegan comfort food. I could smell them from afar and then I knew they were selling these delicious buns somewhere. I think I ate 40 in a week!
Vegan style currant buns..
Now it is not that difficult at all to make these buns vegan, I recently thought. You simply replace the cow's milk and butter with vegetable milk products and the egg with apricot jam or soy milk! I went back to Norway when the scent of these delicious vegan raisin buns came out of the oven!
100 grams of vegan butter
250 ml of oat milk
4 grams of dried yeast
1/3 tsp salt
100 grams of caster sugar
500 grams all purpose flour
1 full tbs cardamom powder
100 grams of raisins
- Well the raisins in some lukewarm water until soft. Drain the water.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the oat milk and heat the whole to lukewarm over low heat (not too hot because then the yeast will no longer work.) Add the yeast and stir everything together with a whisk.
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the oat milk mix and mix well. Shape it into a nice dough ball.
- Let the dough rise for 30 minutes (in a warm place next to a heater, for example). After 30 minutes the raisins may be kneaded through. Knead the dough well again.
- Roll the dough into a roll and cut it into 15 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball. Place the buns on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and let them rise for another 30 minutes in a warm, draft-free place.
- Spread the balls with unsweetened soy milk or apricot jam. 15 minutes in the oven at 225ºC / 437ºF.ºC/437ºF.
- Eet ze warm met wat plantaardige boter of jam!
See here my recipe for Dutch egg cakes without egg!