I got my inspiration for this vegan moussaka from the British 'Hairy Bikers'. Although these two cooking scooter boys are using meat in their recipes most of the time, I believe everything can be veganized.
I love reading British cookbooks and watch British cooking shows. In my opinion the British people know best when it comes to making comfort recipes. Unfortunately they do use lots of meat in their cooking such as Sunday Roasts or stews. But now a days you can replace almost everything the animal friendly way! For example I established my vegan chicken pie in response to one of our trips to England. (Go to the vegan chicken pie recipe).
How I would love for these two gentlemen to try my vegan moussaka. In any event it is absolutely delicious. Cruelty free. Because there is no need to cause pain to anyone for your food. And why not try?
Bekijk hieronder mijn vlog waarin ik stap voor stap deze vegan moussaka maak!
400 gram vegan minced meat
2 kleine aubergines of 1 grote
1 onion, chopped
1 squeezed garlic clove
1 tsp Italian herbs
1 tsp dried mint
salt / pepper
some chopped rosemary
1 bay leaf
can of chopped tomatoes
small can of tomato puree
200 ml vegan red wine (look at http://vegan.ricksmind.com/ for an extensive list of vegan wines!)
1 tbs all purpose flour
1 kg potatoes (for mash)
unsweetened soy milk (for making the mash)
some vegetable butter to grease the loaf tin
For the sauce: soy milk and 'Gaudisauce' (vegan bechamel) Veggiedeli)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/º.
- Cook the potatoes. Drain and mash with some soy milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set it aside.
- Make the bechamel sauce as on the package with the unsweetened soy milk.
- Cut the aubergines in 1 cm slices, and bake them in a large pan for 5 minutes on both sides on a medium heat in some olive oil. Set aside.
- Put the minced meat, onion and garlic in a large saucepan and cook over a medium heat. Now add the herbs and the flour, the tomato puree, can of chopped tomatoes and the red wine. Continue to cook for 30 minutes.
Grease the loaf tin with the butter. Spoon the meat sauce into the loaf tin. Then add a layer of potato mash. Then add a layer of aubergines. Poor over the bechamel sauce and finish with some vegan grated cheese. 45 minutes in the oven.
Tip: if you can, put the loaf tin for 5 minutes under a grill for a beautiful authentic moussaka effect!