I love ragout. It is so creamy. I think this is the ultimate vegan comfort food! Earlier I made a mushroom ragout.This time I made Vegan ragout pies with vegan chicken!
If you make this recipe you will probably have some leftover ragout. I kind of did this on purpose so I could have some ragout on my bun for lunch ;).
- 50 gram vegetable butter
- 50 gram plain flour
1 large onion
500 ml vegetable stock
160 gram vegan chicken pieces
100 gram peas
salt / pepper / sea salt
fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano, thyme or 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
16 slices of puff pastry
flour for dusting
cooking ring (diameter 8 cm) (or a glass)
Soy milk for glazing the pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 390ºF.
- Cut the potato into little cubes and cook them.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Cut the onion and bake on a medium heat. Season with pepper / salt and the herbs. Now add the flour and mix it all together and let this be cooked. Add the stock. Bring to a boil.
- Add the vegan chicken pieces and let it cook for 10 minutes. Make sure you stir it well so there are no lumps to be found anymore.
- Puree with a blender.
- Mix in a bowl the vegan chicken mixture together with the potato pieces and the peas. Let it cool down!
Make the pies!
Dust the kitchen counter with some flour. Defrost the pastry and cut little circles with the cooking ring (or a glass). Throw some of the vegan chicken mixture on the pastry and cover with another pastry. Press the sides with a fork. Now put the round shape on the pastry again so you will have a perfect round pie.
Glaze with the soy milk and sprinkle with some sea salt and pepper.
20 minutes in the oven or until golden.
Serve with some veggiefries and vegan mayo!