Chestnut Mushroom pie. A real autumn treat!
This chestnut mushroom cake was created after we encountered a tree with sweet chestnuts during a nice autumn walk in the forest. We packed up a bag!
At home I washed and roasted the chestnuts in the oven. Then I made this pie with it. What a delicious vegan comfort food dish! Really something for a drizzly windy autumn day.
You can also buy sweet chestnuts at this time of the year at the greengrocer or in our village at the Turkish shop!
Chestnuts as recovery medicine...
Chestnuts help against asthenia. Asthenia is the clinical picture that someone shows who has undergone a heavy course of medicine or illness. The body is exhausted and weak. Because a chestnut contains many minerals, carbohydrates, fibers and vitamins, it is good to eat after recovery from a serious illness!
100 grams of sweet chestnuts
400 grams of mushrooms
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tbs olive oil
50 gram vegetable butter
50 gram plain flour
500 ml vegan vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
salt / pepper to taste
1 twig of thyme, twig of rosemary, handful of parsley
Unsweetened soy milk (for glazing the pastry)
Roast the chestnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 390ºF.
- Wash the chestnuts and cut a cross through the skin with a sharp knife! (Otherwise they will explode in the oven). Place the chestnuts on a baking tray covered with baking paper and roast them for about 20 minutes. Peel when they are still warm, the inner membrane will come off more easily.
Make the vegan pie filling:
- Put the olive oil in a frying pan. Peel and chop the onion and squeeze the garlic. Put this in the pan. Bake until translucent in a few minutes.
- Cut the mushrooms into slices and add. Also add the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, finely chopped parsley and salt / pepper to taste. Fry until the mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Now add the butter, the flour and the vegetable stock. Mix everything together well. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring regularly.
- Giet de taartvulling in een ovenschaal. Bedek de taart met kant en klaar bladerdeeg of or homemade vegan pie pastry. Bestrijk het deeg met wat ongezoete sojamelk.
- Bake in the oven at 200ººC, about 30 minutes until the dough turns golden brown. Serve with this vegan carrot salad if desired