Vegan Eton Mess!
A classic British recipe with fruit, merengue and whipped cream. Normally with egg and milk. Of course the eton mess I made is 100% vegan! Really a super delicious recipe. I think I'll even be making these at Christmas. So festive!
A very big blunder...
At the bottom of this page you will find my vlog where I make this vegan eton mess! Here I will explain step by step how to make vegan merengue. And believe me, I finally know how to make the vegan merengue after a very big blunder! That can also be viewed in my vlog hihi. Well, one learns from mistakes :)
2 fairly large desserts
In total, this recipe makes 7 merengue that you don't all use in dessert
50 ml liquid from a chickpea can (aquafaba)
150 grams of fine granulated sugar
250 grams of frozen berries
2 tbsp icing sugar
juice of ½ lemon
Preheat the oven to 100 / 212ºF
Mix the frozen berries with the icing sugar and set aside.
Make the vegan merengue:
- Squeeze half of the lemon. Drain the chickpeas well in a sieve and collect the moisture in a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice.
- Beat the chickpea liquid as thick as possible for about 10 minutes! This is best done with a hand mixer if you don't want to get a lame arm.
- Add the sugar gradually while beating. Note: the merengue mixture is really only ready when you hold the bowl upside down and nothing falls out trust me!
- Make 7 equal piles of the foam mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 3 hours. Turn off the oven and let cool for 1 hour.
Make the eton mess:
In a bowl, mix a few tbsp coconut yogurt with half of the fruit. Crumble in the merengue (not too fine). Spoon the mixture onto a bowl or into glasses and sprinkle with the remaining merengue and extra berries. Serve immediately!