You can eat these vegan crab cakes as a starter, side dish or as a main course!
During our holiday in England this summer I again got a lot of vegan comfort food inspiration. This time we stayed on the coast and you often have crab cakes on the menu here. When I see a menu I always think 'what could I veganize here'? I thought: such a poor little crab just wants to live his life deep in the sea, right?
Looking for the right texture
Hence this recipe for vegan crab cakes! I was looking for the right texture for crab. I first thought of asparagus, but they have a certain flavor. Then I saw palm hearts in the supermarket (yes, just at Albert Heijn). I used these in the vegan crab cakes and I can tell you that I think it has been a great success!
5 large of 10 smaller cakes
chickpeas 410 grams (drained weight 240 grams)
harts of palm 410 grams (drained weight 220 grams)
4 tbs aquafaba
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp vegan Worcester sauce or soy sauce
1 tsp capers, finely cut
1 ½ tsp mussel and fish herbs
½ tsp sea salt
1 clove of garlic, squeezed
3 tbs vegan mayo or Alpro unsweetened yogurt
2 spring onions, cut into thin slices
½ norivel (dried sea weed, cut into little pieces
2 wholemeal sandwiches
olive oil for baking
Make the vegan crabcakes:
- Drain the chickpeas, rinse and put them in a food processor (keep some moisture). Also drain the palm hearts and add to the food processor.
- Pulse a few times to make everything a bit smaller (not too often as you want the palm hearts to keep their bite). You can also use a fork instead of a food processor.
- Clean the food processor. Add the bread and grind bread crumbs.
- In a bowl with a whisk, mix the chickpea liquid so that it becomes frothy. Now add the lemon juice, the mustard, vegan Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce, capers, mussel and fish herbs, sea salt, garlic and vegan mayonnaise.
- Now add the breadcrumbs, spring onion and chickpea palm heart mixture. Mix everything well together. Put the mixture in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the freezer and make flat cakes with your hands. Cover them with breadcrumbs
- Take some mixture and make a flat circle with your hands. Place the cake on a plate. Make 5 large or 10 small vegan crab cakes.
- Put some olive oil in a frying pan and put the pan on high heat. When the oil is hot (test with a piece of bread), bake the crab cakes on both sides for about 5 minutes until they are nice and golden brown!