Vegan cheese and onion pie. God how I miss England...
No guys, this isn't the first English recipe you can find on my vegan blog :). After all, you know that I am a great Anglophile :). A very good melting vegan cheese is a must in this recipe! That's why I used the vegan cheese from Bute Island that I buy at Veggiedeli. Previously I also used this cheese in my recipe for the best vegan onionsoup ever.
Make this vegan cheese and onion pie, put on some English pub music, get yourself a pint and grab your English moment. I hope we can enjoy the real pub again soon! Cheers!
Check out my other savory vegan "pie" recipes here:
4 persons (cake tin approximately 23 centimeters)
Ingredients for the filling:
3 red onions
salt / pepper to taste
1 arrowroot egg (2 tbsp arrowroot mixed with 3 tbsp water. Available at Albert Heijn)
small knob of butter for greasing the oven dish
olive oil (for frying the onions)
- 4 persons (cake tin approximately 23 centimeters)
Ingredients for the vegan shortcrust pastry (dough):
220 grams of flour
½ tsp salt
110 grams of vegan baking butter
¾ tbsp ice water
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF.
- Put the olive oil in a pan. Finely chop the onions and fry the onions until soft at medium heat. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix the vegan cheese and the arrowroot egg with the onions.
Make the vegan short crust pastry
Place the flour in a large bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add. Mix everything well with your hands. Add ice water and knead until well mixed. Make a ball of the vegan short crust pastry and put in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the vegan short crust pastry from the refrigerator after 30 minutes. Divide it into 2 pieces.
- Grease the baking dish with the butter.
- Roll out part of the vegan short crust pastry with a rolling pin (and possibly some flour on the counter to prevent sticking) and cover the oven dish with this (overlap the sides and cut them).
- Now add the onion mixture.
- Roll out the other part of the short crust pastry and place it on the cake. Press the sides a little.
- Spread with some unsweetened soy milk.
- 30 to 35 minutes in the oven!
- This cake is delicious with, for example, a fresh salad.