A Wellington addiction?
When the Beyond Meat burger arrived in The Netherlands (the vegan burger for meat eaters) I could not wait to tug it in some pastry and make a Beyond Meat Wellington.
Maybe you have noticed that I like to make pastry surprise packages. Have you seen that this is my fourth recipe for Wellington? Here is an overview with all my previous Wellington recipes haha:
Wat is my opinion about the Beyond Burger?
The first time that I tried the Beyond Burger was on our holiday in England in the lovely Peak District. I bought the burger at Tesco supermarket.
I have never eaten meat in my life so for me it was a very scary idea to eat it this because it looks so real, that Beyond Burger!
It even smells like real meat. I did give it a go because, you know, no animals are died for this burger after all. I love the juiciness and the flavor of the burger but I had to get used to the flake-like structure (and the price)but I will buy this more often! My husband said that it tastes like tartar (so I immediately thought: Wellington nr 4).
2 Beyond Meat Burgers (227 grams)
large slice of puff pastry
4 middle sized mushrooms
1 clove of garlic
(Alpro) Soy cream
2 handful of spinach
some fresh rosemary
fresh pepper / sea salt
2 tsp vegan pesto
little bit of olive oil or vegan butter for baking
a pinch of flower (for unrolling the pastry)
unsweetened soy milk (for glazing the pastry)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Put some olive oil in a frying pan or melt the butter. Cut the shallot and the garlic very fine and bake on a medium heat.
- Cut the mushrooms and the shii-take very fine and add them to the pan. Add the salt, pepper and some chopped rosemary (or Italian herbs).
- Add the spinach and let it shrink. Add some soy cream and let this dissolve. Let the mixture cool down in the fridge.
- Bake the portobello in some butter or olive oil for 10 minutes (5 minutes each side and sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper on it. Cut the portbello in half en let cool down.
- Take the Beyond Meat burgers out of the package and knead or roll a big sausage out of it. Set aside.
- Cover the cold oven plate with some baking paper. Put some flour on the kitchen counter unfold the pastry and unroll it a little bit so it will all fit in there. Put the pastry on the oven plate.
Make the Wellington
- Put a layer of mushroommixture on the pastry. Now put the Beyond Meat sausage on top of that. Smear the top of the sausage with some vegan pesto.
- Now add the portobello slices on top of that next to each other.
- Fold the pastry. (I always fold the sides first and then the top and the bottom.
- Turn over the package (with policy). Brush the pastry with some Soy milk and sprinkle some sea salt and pepper on the pastry. Make some small carvings.
- 25/30 minutes in the oven until golden. Decorate with some fresh rosemary.